Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Logos offers free RefTagger tool

Logos just announced a free new tool called RefTagger. What it does is read a web page, pick out any biblical references it can find and make sense of, and turn those references into links to the text at BibleGateway and, if you choose, to the text in the Logos/Libronix program. For example, Ephesians 2:8-10. All I did was type that passage, and the RefTagger javascript handled it all. I can use standard abbreviations as well: Eph 2:8-10.
To add this feature to this blog, I chose my options on the RefTagger page, copied the code, customized my Blogger page by adding a new page element to the bottom of the page (RefTagger only picks up references that are above it on the page), chose HTML/JavaScript element, and pasted in my code.
If you had already hyperlinked a text to something else, it won't pick that up, but you can still also use the BibleRef coding: John 3:16. The only drawbacks I can see are that it does take a page slightly longer to render and it might be a bit visually distracting to have all those hyperlinks and little "L"s. So, what do you think?

What do you think of using RefTagger on this site? (multiple answers allowed)
It is great to have the link to the BibleGateway text!
I don't really need the link to the BibleGateway text.
It is great to have the link to Logos.
I don't really need the link to Logos.
None of this really matters to me.
Free polls from Pollhost.com


3 comments:

  1. That works really well. You can see an example on on THIS POST ON BLOGSPOT. I used your suggestion and it is a very easy way and works fine! Thanks for posting the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you notice how the script creates a break at the top of the page above the Navigation bar? Does it do that if you insert it in the template also?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... not seeing any break on my site, nor on yours.

    ReplyDelete